It's a small tower, solid in its two-thirds and with a cabin at the top that was accessed with scale.
Located on the hill overlooking puntazo del Rayo, was taken care of, in principle, by two guards dependent on Vera and Mojácar's parties, who charged 25 daily maravedís.
Did 1525, hardly anyone wanted to work on this tower, for the obvious danger of being killed or held captive by the countless Barbary pirates who were arriving in the very depopulated area of carbonera cove.
In 1540 stopped putting guards in this tower for not finding anyone willing for it no long as they were paid, remaining the Carbonera area as an intractable point for Christians, who only appeared around sporadically, to hunt down or chase some Moorish fuse.
No further use is known, it would be intermittent while the barbary danger lasted.
In the mid-19th century, became dependent on Carabineros' body like all the castles in the area, being used for surveillance of smuggling on the coast. Did 1941 would give in to the Civil Guard, who took care of all the assets of that body. In 1949 would be protected by the state like the other Spanish castles and It is recently restored.
It's open access.
It was declared of Cultural Interest with the category of Monument (Code: 40660011). Under the protection of the Declaration of The 22 April 1949, and the Law 16/1985 about the Spanish Historical Heritage. In 1993 the Junta de Andalucía granted special recognition to the castles of the Autonomous Community of Andalusia.